Observance Rule: Chaitra Sukla Navami, prevailing during madhyahana time. If prevails on both days during the madhyahana kala (3/5th) of the dinmana then take the second one. If it doesn't prevails on second day during madhyahana kala but prevails on first day then take the first one otherwise take the second one.
Vaishnava rule variation: If it prevails on first day with ashtami viddha but prevails during madhyahana kala and doesn't prevail on second day during madhyanaha kala but it prevails for three muhurtha after sunrise (144 minutes) take the second day.
Explanation: The Madhyahana is the third / fifth part of the dinamana. The dinamana is the difference between sunset and sunrise on the same day. This is the total length of the day. The navami tithi should be prevailing during the 3rd fifth part of the dinamana based on local sunrise and local sunset.
According to this Smarthas can celebrate Shri Ramanavami (2008) as follows:
- USA, Canada, Europe, Gulf Countries, Africa, Mauritius: April 13th 2008.
- India (Bombay, Delhi, Andhra Pradesh, Tamilnadu, Kerala, Gujarat, Maharastra, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Hariyana, Kashmir, Portions of UP) April 13th 2008
- India (Places east of Jharkhand, portions of Uttar pradesh, Bihar, Bengal, Assam, Orrisa, Tripura) April 14th 2008
- Sri Lanka April 13th 2008
- Bangladesh, China, Singapore, Malaysia, South East Asia, Australia, Fiji, Japan, New Zealand April 14th 2008.
According to Vaishnava siddhanta:
- USA, Canada, Europe April 13th 2008.
- Gulf Countries, Africa, Mauritius, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, China, Singapore, Malaysia, South East Asia, Australia, Fiji, Japan, New Zealand. April 14th 2008.
To find out today's star or looking for a panchangam? visit http://www.mypanchang.com and click on panchanga and select the city you want.